Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Creative Writing Final Reflection Post

1.      Throughout this semester we have done multiple different writings. One of my favorite things we did in our journals was when we had the paint samples and created writing pieces. It was fun to take the ridiculous names and make something out of them. I also really enjoyed the “this is” poems we did that went with a picture that means a lot to us. Also the times when we had to continuously write about something you would put up on the board. For whatever reason I seemed to work better that way; probably because we were just supposed to put whatever came to mind instead of having to think more about it.
2.      I’ve read some of the other students’ blog posts and a lot of them were really good. One that sticks out to me in particular was Taylor’s scary story. The entire time I didn’t know what was going on, but I was still on the edge of my seat and eager to know what was going to happen. The end of the story in a way put things together, but at the same time left you wondering what she was talking about. If that was the first chapter or prologue of a book I would definitely want to read it. Also, other writing pieces, such as poems, that we have read in this class amaze me. I will never understand how people can so easily write poems, because they’re so difficult for me.
3.      When I was originally setting up my blog, it took me forever. The website was not cooperating. I had never had a blog before, and was a little apprehensive of the idea. Now that I’ve actually used it, I realize that I enjoy it. I like having all my writing pieces in one spot where I can easily look at all of them together. I don’t picture myself continuing to use it, but mainly because I prefer writing with pencil rather than typing things out on a computer. It makes it seem more real to me, and I feel like that’s when I do my best writing.
4.      I really enjoyed the journals. I like how much freedom we had with them. I found myself quite often writing in it even when there wasn’t a prompt to go off of. Most of the time it was when I was daydreaming about concerts or friends or something, and I would just write down whatever was coming to my mind. I would rather someone read my journal than my blog. It is definitely more scattered and somewhat messy, but I think the writing in it, and random drawings better represent me. I might continue to journal, but more in a way where it’s a random times and I’m writing them in random places, since I’m not very good a keeping track of things. I don’t think I’ll ever finish a full journal, but instead have different writings in a bunch of different journals.
5.      This picture reminds me of the first time I went to Chicago. I was with a bunch of my friends and we had been shopping all day. It was getting pretty late and we were all high on life and awed by the city’s beauty. I remember running over a bridge and yelling at my friend Abbey to come look at the view. We stood there for a while taking it all in. That was when we made a promise to come back together some time. Since then we’ve been back twice to see our favorite bands and best friends. I am in love with that city and all the memories I’ve made there.
6.      Julie smiled as she felt the warmth from the sunlight against her fare skin. For the past week, anytime she would go outside she would only be greeted with the gloominess of the grey rain clouds above. She missed playing outside, she missed the smell of fresh air, and most importantly she missed her best friend.
7.      If I do any creative writing in the future, I think it will just be for myself if I have a lot on mind. It is one way that is a good way to clear my head, but I have other ways too so that’s not always the first thing I go to.
8.      Overall this class exceeded my expectations. It was a lot of fun and one of the few lasses where I actually had motivation to work. I really enjoyed how each week had a different theme, and especially enjoyed the music week which probably isn’t much of a surprise. This class is full of very interesting, talented students that were a lot of fun to work with.

                                   

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this reflection, Mackenzie! I'm so glad you enjoyed the class and that I got a chance to know you. I'm sure life has lots of twists and turns and flips (gymnastics reference!) in store for you...lots of concerts, too, I would think. I hope you find lots of love and happiness, too.

    ReplyDelete