Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Photos from this millennium

On January 12, 2010 there was a massive earthquake in Haiti. I remember being in seventh grade when I found out about it while sitting in science class. Mr. Randolf showed the class what pictures and news stories had been released on the big screen. My mind instantly went to my mom. She has been on multiple mission trips to Haiti and has a huge spot in her heart for that country and for the people of that country. I knew that this would have a great effect on her big heart that always seems to think of others before herself. Whenever I got to the gym later that day for practice I noticed that my mom wasn’t sitting in her office working like she normally was at that time during the day. After four hours of gymnastics, with the constant talk of the tragedy that was happening in a less fortunate part of the world, I finally got to pack my things up and get ready to go home. My step dad was the one that picked me up instead of my mom. When I got home my mom was already in bed and I was told that she had a rough day and just to let her sleep. The next morning when I got to talk to her she just told me a bunch of stories she has with that place that is now in ruins. There was a small, sad smile on her face the entire time. Being so young and naive, I didn’t really understand how awful this actually was, and what it did to everyone living there. Through the gym, my mom arranged multiple fundraisers, all of them with the title “Hearts for Haiti”. Looking back now, when I see that pictures of the women standing the middle of the huge mess, it makes me understand why my mom was so hung up on it and wanted to do anything she could to help. I don’t know the women in the picture, and I don’t know her story, but I want to assume that she lost her home and possibly her family. The look of loneliness and just being upset and scared she has on her face breaks my heart. Even if she didn’t personally lose those things, I know that there are hundreds, probably even thousands of people that did.

1 comment:

  1. From what I've read, the people of Haiti are still fighting to recover from this tragedy. Bravo to your mom for taking action. I think about helping a lot but then time passes and I don't ever really DO anything.

    ReplyDelete