Friday, October 24, 2014

Comparing Music Choices

What music or songs remind you of your childhood?
For me, when I think of my childhood I think of Hannah Montana and High School Musical. Dancing around the house with my sister who was my best friend, belting out lyrics that THE Hannah Montana “wrote and performed”. Life was so much easier when our biggest worry was if Gabrielle and Troy were going to stay together or if the world would ever find out Miley was Hannah. Mrs. Stephens said that Rick Astly’s “Never Gunna Give Up” and Sinead O’ Connor reminds her of her childhood, while Kim from the attendance office said Pink Floyd, John Denver, Forner, and ELO brought back memories for her.
Who is your favorite singer or group or song and why?
Mrs. Stephens claims that she is obsessed with Maroon 5, which doesn’t surprise me as much as it should probably. I feel like that matches her personality perfectly. Kim had a very wide variety; her top three were Pink Floyd, Luke Bryant, and Iggy. When she said Iggy I couldn’t help to laugh a little bit, just because it’s not something that I would expect at all. For me, my top three are probably 5 Seconds of Summer, All Time Low, and State Champs. All three of them are more rock oriented, and amazing performers live. State Champs are more of a new obsession, while the other two have been someone I’ve listened to for a while, they just don’t get old.
What music reminds you of someone you love? Your child? Spouse? Parents?
Mrs. Stephens stated that “Thank You” by Dido was her and her husband’s song when they were dating, so that will always be special to her. Kim said that “children” by Allen Jackson was one of her personal favorites. For me, just 5sos in general reminds me of people I love. About 90% of my good friends live in different states from all over, but I’m still just as close to them as anyone else. I’ve met them all at concerts for the band, and they quickly became my best friends. It’s been about a year and a half since I met most of them, but there still hasn’t been a day where we don’t talk, even though there’s a nine+ hour distance between us. Every chance we get to go back to Chicago and all meet up again to see our favorite band, we take it.
Do you go to concerts? Which concerts are memorable to you? Why?
Mrs. Stephens said that Chicago was the best concert shes ever been to, just because they “had everything”. Not completely sure what “everything” consists of, but apparently they had it. Kim named a bunch of country artists, but for the most part she doesn’t get too excited over concerts. Me on the other hand, I go to concerts every opportunity I can. I honestly can’t even count how many I’ve been to just this year. The best ones are when they’re general admission. I don’t usually like being that close to people, but for whatever reason I love everyone being so smashed together, screaming out lyrics that we all love. I love the way music can bring total strangers together, and build relationships and friendships that last a lifetime.
What radio stations do you normally listen to in your car? DO you sing along?
Both Mrs. Stephens and Kim’s answers consisted of stations that resembled 96.5. They both shamelessly admitted that they love to sing along, everyone does. I was surprised by Kim, because she said she usually listens to 96.5 when I was expecting it to be a country station.
Which music or artist was “controversial” or “offensive” to some when you were growing up? Is any music offensive to you now?
Mrs. Stephens very quickly shouted out Ozzy Osburn, and that doesn’t surprise me at all. She mentioned the fact that she was terrified of him because of the rumor that he killed puppies at his concerts. Kim said Marilyn Manson and Twisted Sister.
Which music or artist do you really dislike or refuse to listen to?
Mrs. Stephens hates the 70’s because she finds them very annoying. Kim didn’t have an answer because she said she just doesn’t pay attention to names or anything if she doesn’t like them.



1 comment:

  1. This was fun to read! Some of Kathy and Kim's answers surprised me, too!

    ReplyDelete