Sunday, September 21, 2014

Famous First And Last Lines (About Books)

"I write this sitting in the kitchen sink."

The famous first line is from the novel "I Capture the Castle" written by Dodie Smith. She wrote it while living with her husband in California during WWII. The Novel is about a family living in a decaying English Castle during the 1930's. Poverty has struck the family as well as everyone else. The story is told through the point of view of a teenage girl who writes in a personal journal. Throughout the story she matures and transforms from a girl to a young woman. I don't think I would want to read his book mainly based on the fact that I don't find history very interesting usually.

"Tomrrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is a new day"
This quote is from the classic Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell in 1936. The story follows a spoiled girl who must find her way out of poverty. The story was written throughout the perspective of a slaveholder and is very controversial when it comes to slavery. I'm kind of torn with whether I would enjoy it or not. Again with the history, I don't think I would enjoy the language and all the different slang they would use, making it harder for me to understand whats going on. However, slavery can be a very interesting topic to me so maybe I would enjoy the novel. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved Gone With the Wind! I have read it a couple of times. I think it's the first book I remember crying about. I was about your age.

    ReplyDelete